A rather laborious painting operation. The paint I’m using is really hard wearing and difficult to lay on. Not to mention the surface area! Anyway, we’re getting there!
Hey guys, an update on the railing project. I dressed up all the scrolls after forging them, then got set on welding them into the railings. I welded in the filler bars to create apertures and then fit the scrolls in. They’ve come out really well. Pleased! All to do now is a lot of painting…
Hey guys, been working on my ‘Wrought Iron Railing‘ project again this week. Been down to my friends at Ridgeway Forge to borrow some heat, then got rolling. A tricky project for my first hand rolled scrolls but found it quite therapeutic and finished with them all looking even, so that’s good! They should match the originals fine. See the update on the railing project next!
I’ve had a busy couple of weeks building up for Wirksworth Art Festival, which has just passed. It’s been hard, but had loads of things made and I have had a great weekend meeting new people and talking about lots of cool stuff. Love it! Great to meet you all and thanks for all your kind words and support. See you next year and be sure to keep an eye on the blog!
Been working on a lot of projects recently, keep a close eye on the blog to catch them. Here’s a rustic clock made from an old disc harrow, used to cultivate soil. A redundant piece of farm machinery made into something unique and useful! Love this project
I’ve been playing with some punches to label my projects, interesting outcome which I’m really pleased with.
Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
This is an afternoons project I challenged myself to do, complete the build in under 3 hours.
Made from pallet wood, and a hand punched copper inlay with a hinged, inbuilt stand.
Possibly for the ‘old school’ book lover over the iPad generation.
Hey guys, a quick post to show a current project in the pipeline. The legs have been salvaged from a redundant corn roller, used to crush animal feed. The table top was a huge piece of waney edged spalted beech salvaged from the same place as the legs. The wood had been sat outside and has warped, should look really good after a bit of fettling.
Another project in the lineup. I acquired a pair of these oil drums recently, and have decided their fate after some consideration.
I wanted to get two chairs from a single barrel for less waste, so there will be a set of four. I rolled some angle iron on a section roller then drilled and tapped the holes to bolt to the barrel. Didn’t want to ruin the surprisingly neat paintwork with weld!
I then set about a base for the seat, so glued up some pallet wood and cut it down to fit. After some sanding the pallet wood comes out well. A hole was bored so that the lid is removable. The chairs have storage underneath this way.
Just some back rests and upholstery to finish. Nice!
I’ve been working on this railing commission for the last few weeks, she’s a big one! Sitting at 8.1m we’ve got some thinking to do regarding transport.
These railings are fabricated to match existing on location. Just waiting to go and do some scrolls at the forge and it’ll be out the door.
Sure is taking up some shop space!